Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Aloha!!!

We did another amazing trip to Oahu, kidless again! It was great, tons of fun, we did a lot of things we did the last time we were there and we found some new things to try. Originally we had planned on taking the kids but once we started looking at airfare we decided against that. So the kids got to stay home for the first time with a sitter, which they loved, and maybe someday we'll take the kids to Hawaii, maybe... hehehe

We saw these awesome scooter/car thingys the last time and we had to rent them this time.


Hanauma Bay (unfortunately we never snorkeled this time)

Gorgeous!

The views there are just amazing, everywhere you look its so beautiful!

Puttering up a hill, the scooters were fun but lacked storage and guts.

Dave found this urchinthingy while we were waiting for Katie and Justin to get a new scooter. Theirs broke on the way back into town.

Oh the trees! So huge and shady, I loved the ones with vines growing back down. They seemed so junglish.

This is Aaron body surfing at Waimea Bay. His favorite beach on the island, but no cliff jumping this time the waves were too crazy :(

Awww so cute

Yummy garlic shrimp from Giovanni's Shrimp Truck.

Us at Sunset Beach

The view from the hotel, not too shabby

We went back to the Pearl Harbor Memorial, which was wonderful because they had finished renovating it and it was brand new to us. They have some amazing photos, quotes, objects, and movies that really help you to learn about what lead up to that day and what happened afterwards.
"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Bill of Rights Day, November 27, 1941

Dear Lord
Lest I continue
My complacent way
Help me to remember
Somehow out there
A man died for me today.
As long as there be war
I then must
Ask and answer
Am I worth dying for?
Poem Eleanor Roosevelt kept in her wallet during World War II

This is a torpedo that was salvaged fully intact and then safely detonated.

The view out to the USS Arizona Memorial.

This is a really cool model of what the USS Arizona looks like under water with the memorial on top.

Aaron and I

This is really crazy I had taken a picture of this exact spot minutes before. Then we start smelling oil and look down and all of a sudden there's all these oil bubbles.

One of our only group photos, enjoying an amazing meal at Ruth's Chris.

Back at Sunset Beach to watch a competition but there's no competition and there's no sun :( So we hung out and watched all these paddle boarders surfing the big waves.

Hammerhead sharks being fed at the JW next to our hotel.

Sting ray feeding time at the JW.

Just a cool tree along the shore between our hotel and the JW.

Seriously?? I'm booking my tickets back right now.....

3 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the title of this post I knew it would just make me jealous! Looks like you guys had so much fun! Maybe one day when we are finally done with school we can come join you on one of your Hawaiian adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THERE IS NO OTHER POSSIBLE RESPONSE THAN AN AWED......WOW.,.....!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete